Dogs & Acorns - Should You Allow Your Dog To Eat Acorns

Dogs & Acorns - Should You Allow Your Dog To Eat Acorns

Author WDF Staff


In some parts of the US, acorns and other tree nuts can be found on the ground during autumn. Only a small group of people has heard about these nuts and the risks they pose to our beloved dogs. Since they will fall on the ground, dogs will have easy access to get some acorns, but you should be very careful with these nuts. Stay with us, and you will find out are acorns poisonous to dogs and what you need to do if your dog gets his paws on some of these nuts. Let’s start.

Can dogs eat acorns?

Acorns can be found on and around oak trees, and these nuts contain one component called tannins that is extremely dangerous for dogs. So if you were wondering can dogs eat acorns, the answer is a loud no. You shouldn’t let your dog near these nuts.

If your dog gets its paws on these nuts, he can end up with all kinds of health problems and, in the worst-case scenario, even die. If you suspect your dog has eaten acorns, you should immediately call your vet and get to the nearest vet clinic.

RELATED: Which of These Nuts are Safe for Dogs

Are acorns poisonous to dogs?

Tannins from acorns can cause poisoning in dogs, but your dog can also get poisoned if he ingests oak leaves. The more your dog eats, the bigger is the threat to his health. Eating a small number of acorns will for sure give dogs some stomach problems, but depending on your dog and his health condition, symptoms could be even worse, so if you see an oak tree and acorns, the best you can do is to walk away from it.

two acorns

Acorn poisoning symptoms

You can expect some symptoms to show if your dog has ingested acorns. Besides stomach problems, your dog can end up with:

  • Diarrhea
  • Appetite loss
  • General pain
  • Vomiting
  • Dehydration
  • Collapsing
  • Death

These symptoms will happen soon after ingestion, usually after a few hours.

RELATED: Can Dogs Get Food Poisoning?

How many acorns my dog needs to eat to get poisoning?

The concentration of tannins varies from tree to tree and from acorn to acorn. In general, unripe green acorns will contain the highest amount of tannins, while brown ones will have a much smaller amount, making them less poisonous.

It is complicated to estimate precisely how much of acorns your dog needs to ingest to get poisoned. Since the level of tannins will depend on a few factors, including oak tree, ripeness, and even the location, we cannot estimate how much acorns will cause toxicity.

WORLD DOG FINDER TIP: The best thing you can do is keep your dog away from acorns and not take your luck and let the dog near them.

Acorn poisoning treatment

Treatment depends on how many acorns your dog has ingested. Your dog may need IV fluid, and surgery will need to be done if acorns are causing a blockage.

acorns in hand

In most cases, your vet will prescribe your dog some medication to help with pain and prevent vomiting and diarrhea.

What should I do if my dog ate acorns?

If your dog has eaten a dozen of these nuts, the first thing you need to do is to stay calm. If you start panicking, you will only create more problems, and you will not be able to help your dog. Call your vet and tell him what happen. Try to figure out how many acorns your dog has ingested and was they ripe or not. This information will help your vet to tell you what your next step will be.

If your dog has ingested a small number of acorns, in some cases, your vet will advise you to watch your dog for any sign of symptoms, while in other cases, will tell you to come for an examination.

RELATED: Dog Obesity: Causes, Symptoms & Prevention

How to prevent my dog from eating acorns?

You must always be careful when walking with your dog to prevent this from happening. Dogs tend to sniff everything, and they could easily see an acorn on the ground and eat it. You must always look and notice potential dangers before the dog. That way, you can prevent this from happening.

What other nuts should my dog avoid?

Besides acorns, some other nuts are also bad for dogs. These nuts should not be given to dogs under any circumstances since most of them will cause toxicity. These are the nuts you need to avoid:

World Dog Finder team

World Dog Finder Logo