Main Reasons Why You Should Never Share Nutmeg With Your Dog
We love to use nutmeg for baking our favorite cakes and cookies since it contains many health benefits, and since it benefits us, we might think it will also benefit our dogs. If you were wondering: "Can dogs eat nutmeg?" don't be surprised when you find out that nutmeg is highly toxic for dogs, and you should never allow your dog to come near this human food if you want to preserve the health of your pet. This is why you should keep nutmeg far away from your dog.
Can dogs eat nutmeg?
In nutmeg, we can find one compound called myristicin, which is highly toxic to dogs, and because of that, dogs should never eat nutmeg, not even in small amounts. In general, if a dog eats a small amount of nutmeg, he will most probably be alright, but that will depend on many factors. To be safe, you should never allow your dog to come near the nutmeg.
What is nutmeg poisoning?
As we said earlier, if ingested in large amounts, nutmeg is extremely toxic to dogs. It is thought that nutmeg toxicity will happen if your dog ingests a lot of this component, but note that toxicity can also occur if your dog eats a smaller amount.
This is a serious health issue that will need your quick reaction if you want to help your pet. Nutmeg poisoning can cause a range of symptoms and some of them include
- Increased heart rate
- Abdominal pain
- High blood pressure
RELATED: Which of These Nuts are Safe for Dogs
What to do if your dog ingests nutmeg?
Firstly, you need to remain calm to help your dog. If you start to panic, you will only create more problems for your dog. Secondly, call your vet and tell him what happen. Your vet will instruct you on your next moves depending on the amount your dog ingested, the symptoms shown, etc.
In this scenario, every minute is essential, and if you act fast, there is a higher probability that your pet will get well quicker without any consequences. Early intervention is crucial for a better prognosis. Your vet will decide what to do with your dog and what should the best treatment be.
For the most part, treatment will include supportive care. Depending on how much nutmeg your dog has ingested, your vet could also initiate flushing the dog's stomach to remove as much of the nutmeg as possible.
Generally, vets prescribe activated charcoal to help with toxins already released into the dog's bloodstream. In case of significant toxicity, your vet will want to monitor your dog, and he will need to stay in the clinics for at least the next two days.
RELATED: Can Dogs Eat Pistachios - Here is What Vets Might Tell You
Recovery of nutmeg poisoning in dogs
Depending on your dog and the severity of the nutmeg poisoning, recovery will vary. In most cases, if you provide proper and quick health support for your dog, he will recover fully within a few hours, although for some, it may take a few days to completely get back to normal. Take note that if nutmeg poisoning is left untreated, it can be fatal for the dog.
For the best recovery, your vet will:
- Ensure fluid therapy to help maintain hydration and to support kidney function
- Administer medications to control seizures or tremors
- Constantly monitor vital signs, mainly heart rate, and blood pressure
- Provide proper treatment for gastrointestinal symptoms if necessary
The best prevention for things that are toxic to dogs is to keep them away from the dog. We know that sometimes it can be hard to always look at your dog and keep him safe, but it is your responsibility as a pet owner.
The best thing you can do is to learn all the things, including human food, spices, etc., that are toxic to dogs, and remember to be extra careful and not allow your dog to come near them when you are in contact with any of them.
Believe us when we say that no owner will want to go through dog poisoning in their life.
World Dog Finder team