Vet Corner - Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms
Dogs love grabbing a bit of our food. Since we love mushrooms, our dogs have many opportunities to grab one while we are not looking. Maybe some owners want to give their dogs one to gnaw on. Before you do that, you need to be sure you know the answer to the question, “Can dogs eat mushrooms?” The answer to that question is somewhat expected - Dogs can eat some, and some they should avoid.
Just like humans, dogs cannot eat all kinds of mushrooms. They cannot digest toxic ones, and you should be extremely careful what kind you allow your dog to eat. We would strongly advise you against feeding your dog wild mushrooms. If you come across them while hiking, you shouldn’t allow your dog to eat them. If you are a seasoned mushroom hunter, you probably know what kind is safe for you and for your dog to eat, but never allow your dog to eat the ones you are unsure about.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Some owners believe their dogs won’t eat toxic mushrooms because they can smell the toxins. That is entirely false, and you should not allow your dog to even come close to them.
Only a small number of mushrooms are toxic. However, those that are toxic are very toxic. If you are not a seasoned mushroom hunter, distinguishing toxic from non-toxic ones can be difficult. Vets advise you to treat all wild mushroom ingestions as a potential emergency. You should call your vet or Animal Poison Control (888) 426 - 4435. Here are some toxic mushrooms that can have deadly consequences;
- Galerina marginata (Deadly Galerina)
- Amanita phalloides (Death Cap)
- Amanita gemmata (Jeweled Deathcap)
- Amanita muscaria (Deadly Agaric)
- Clitocybe dealbata mushrooms
- Gyromitra spp. (False Morel)
Luckily, there are mushrooms dogs can safely eat. Most ones humans eat are safe for dogs, but you must be careful with the preparation process. We love preparing them with oils, onions, garlic, and other spices that are unsafe for dogs. If you want to give your dog mushrooms, make sure they are plain and without any seasoning. Some of the mushrooms safe for dogs are;
- Button (White) Mushrooms
- Cremini (Italian Brown) Mushrooms
- Chanterelle (Girolle) Mushrooms
- Shiitake (Forest or Oak) Mushrooms
- Oyster Mushrooms
- Portabello (Portabella) Mushrooms
- Enoki (Snow Puff) Mushrooms
- Porcini (Cepe or Bolete) Mushrooms
- Morel Mushrooms
The good news is - mushrooms are packed with healthy nutrients. They can offer our dogs and us many essential things we need in our organisms. Not only are they delicious, but they are also packed with amino acids, vitamins, magnesium, manganese, potassium, folate, pantothenic acid, enzymes, iron, thiamin, zinc, and niacin. These aren’t all nutrients these little things contain, so it is clear they are very healthy.
Unfortunately, everything that is not given to dogs in moderation can be dangerous for them. If you prepare them with oils and other seasoning and give some to your dog, they can experience digestive issues. Onion and garlic can be very toxic to dogs, so you should be careful not to feed any to your dog. Keep in mind that whenever you give your dog any kind of “human food,” it should be thoroughly cooked and unseasoned.
The more obvious answer to the question, “Can mushrooms be bad for dogs?” - yes, toxic ones are extremely dangerous for dogs. If you suspect your dog ate a poisonous mushroom, you should contact your vet immediately and take your dog to the closest animal ER. Make sure you monitor your dog closely and look for these mushroom poisoning symptoms;
Worst-case scenarios can end up with;
- Liver failure
There are some potential benefits to giving your dog mushrooms, but you have to be sure you know how to safely prepare them and what kinds are safe for you and your dog to eat. Most store-bought species are okay for dogs to eat, but only if they are prepared without seasoning and thoroughly cooked.
If you are hiking or walking your dog, you should never allow them to eat or approach unidentified wild mushrooms. If you don’t know the exact species and you are sure they are safe to eat, you shouldn’t allow your dog to even come close. Dogs might try to eat them and end up poisoned. The better choice would be giving your dog something they can eat without any issues, like apples or pears.
World Dog Finder team